2017 has seen an increase in the media of stories, issues and information related to the health and well-being of doctors and medical students in Australia.
Here at Doctors' Health SA we post some of those articles on our Facebook and LinkedIn pages. However we acknowledge that not everyone is on social media nor has the time to scroll through posts and links.
We have created this page to share some of the key articles for doctors, medical students, stakeholders and interested researchers to review from time to time.
DOCTORS HEALTH ON TV, MAINSTREAM & MEDICAL MEDIA, & SOCIAL MEDIA
- The health of doctors was recently highlighted on the SBS program "Insight" following the suicide of junior doctors around Australia.
- A really insightful article,"The resilience myth in medicine", by Dr Geoff Toogood, Cardiologist and founder of #crazysocsfordocs day social media campaign - published on the MJA Insight doctorsportal.
- "Socking it to depression" - an article on the social media campaign #crazysocsfordocs breaking down the stigma of mental health issues in the medical profession.
- An article about working together to address the doctor suicide issue "Picking up the pieces" published in on the AMA(NSW) DIT Diary
- 'The caring profession needs to care for itself' this article is a collection of key people within the medical profession discussing the issue of suicide in the medical profession. It was published in The Age in June 2017.
- August 2017 saw the release of a report from the data source of the seven annual waves of the Medicine in Australia: Balancing Employment and Life(MABEL) survey. The results suggest the importance of addressing adverse working environments among doctors. Link to article here.
- It is not easy, being a doctor-patient, I know - Dr Ian McPhee shares his experiences as a doctor-patient. A worthwhile read for doctors. Ian shares more of his journey and support of other docs health and wellbeing on his Twitter handle @iGas2 (Ian McPhee).
**Let us know of an article you would like to share on this page to support the health and wellbeing of doctors and medical students, email here the details.